NorthConnect Legacy Fund
|Grant size||Up to £1,500|
|Information:||This fund is currently closed|
About this fund
The NorthConnect Legacy Fund supports community groups that benefit residents living within ten miles of the planned electrical interconnector between Scotland and Norway. This area includes Peterhead, Boddam, Cruden Bay, Mintlaw, St Fergus and Crimond. A map showing the area of benefit can be viewed here.
The fund is provided by NorthConnect, a joint venture company, set up to develop, build, own and operate the electrical interconnector.
The fund was launched in 2017 and had allocated £70,000 to projects between 2017 and 2021.
Read more about the difference the fund is making - see useful links below.
Purpose of this fund
The aims of the fund are:
- To provide sustainable support to the communities and stakeholders living, working and playing in the vicinity of the NorthConnect infrastructure including: the converter station, HVAC and HVDC cabling both on and offshore.
- To support sustainable energy use and production.
- To support sustainability, energy, environment, health and wellbeing education.
- To increase participation in and access to contemporary culture, events and recreational activities in an environmentally sensitive manner.
- To preserve and enhance the natural environment for residents and visitors to the area.
Local procurement of goods and services is encouraged wherever practical.
Who can apply?
Your group/organisation must meet our standard eligibility criteria. It does not need to be registered charity to apply.
What can’t be funded?
Information on what the fund cannot support is provided here.
How are decisions made?
The fund Panel, appointed by NorthConnect, makes recommendations on awards and advises on overall fund strategy.
Current Panel members are:
- Richard Blanchfield - NorthConnect
- Diane Tait - Buchan Development Partnership
- Frank Gordon - Boddam Estates
- The Panel normally meets once a year.
Minutes of the latest Panel meetings are available on request from the Community Funds Adviser. Contact details can be found below.
More information on decision making can be found here.
Yes, however in order to ensure that the limited funds available are allocated fairly, it is likely that only one award will be made to any group.
Yes, this is feasible where the grants are being used for different projects, and where they were awarded in different fund years. All applications are subject to an assessment by Foundation Scotland so each application will be assessed even if the group is already in receipt of a grant.
Yes, however in order to ensure that the limited funds available are allocated fairly, the Panel will take into account any previous grant awarded when coming to a decision.
More NorthConnect Legacy Fund case studies
Read a further selection of case studies detailing some of the projects and activities that have received funding from the NorthConnect Legacy Fund.
This includes funding for Aberdeenshire Sailing Trust, enabling them to buy a rescue boat engine to support activities taking place at the Trust's Peterhead centre.